Saturday, June 14, 2008

Claustrum Burial-Serial Killer

Deathcore bands trying to act as grindcore bands seems to be popping out everywhere. They pop up in my own hometown, the United States, some random Asian country and this one, Claustrum Burial from Brazil. I don’t even know the meaning of the band’s name. I can’t even find the meaning in my dictionary. Enough with the introduction, let’s get to the music.


This EP starts off with a track with the biggest track intro to song ratio I’ve ever seen. Abyssum Invocat, which I believe is in Portuguese, starts off with sounds off bullets being fired off. The actual song only starts at 1:40 and comes in with pig squeals (yes you read that right, annoying pig squeals). Then the song transcends with grindcore edges. Okay, the first track sounds horrible right? Yet I continued listening to next track. What a miracle. The next track comes in with some snare beats and surprisingly, the track turns out to be a grindcore track! Raspy shrieking vocals made me feel as if I’m listening to a totally different band. Pig squeals are you used but not to an annoying extend. Guttural vocals also add up in the vocals direction. The third track, also in Portuguese sounds as if a death metal track done by pros. More raspy vocals and guttural execution, best of all, less pig squeals. No guitar solos but I see hope for them if they go in this formula. The riffs are in galloping format but I don’t see any problem with this. The next 2 tracks follow the same formula as the track Miseria. The track Serial Killer starts off with a speech by George Bush. Most probably the track is mocking him.


To sum all this up, the EP isn’t that bad. Starts off with your typical annoying Deathcore but it transcends to a grindcore EP. The second half sounds as if it’s a completely different band. The production sounds raw, like typical grindcore. I have no problem with that but I know some people who will only listen to whistle clean production. Recommending this to grindcore fans but avoid the annoying 1st track. I give 65% out of 100 for this EP. Pig Squeals takes a lot of points away from this piece. There is one thing I have to say, there only a few breakdowns here. Hope they go into the grindcore direction.

No comments:

Post a Comment