Saturday, June 21, 2008

Interview with Grindcore band Magnicide!!



Recently I got the chance to interview Memeng of Magnicide. Here's that exclusive review and with some juicy details I was able to drag out of Memeng's mind, I'm sure you fans might enjoy. Enjoy reading this chat! Haha.







TerenceBelieves: Can you introduce the band?



Magnicide: The band started in early 2007. Just some friends decided to play fast. Jali & I (Memeng) used to play in Demisor. Then we hook up Iem from Hasrat to play Magnicide.



TerenceBelieves: Here are some clichéd questions I'm sure fans are eager to know too. What are the band's influences and why do you choose those particular bands to be on your influence roster? Any new bands that might be your current song writing muse?



Magnicide: Ok we love old & new grind bands of course. Bands we adore are assuck,324,terrorizer and bunch more...probably we love more of 324 style of song writing but we dig other genre as well...anything goes wit Magnicide style of song writing...no limit..



TerenceBelieves: You guys just played in Manila this year how was it? Was the crowd as energetic back in Singapore? How was the support there?



Magnicide: It was awesome. Great crowd, great support we loved it. The venue was simply great. Emman of Delusion of Terror helped us a lot. Cheers to him & his awesome family!



TerenceBelieves: I bet you guys want to play there again. Got any footage or pictures to share from the gigs you had at the Philippines?



Magnicide: *Laughs* yeah why not...we love too...to me personally we get both vacation & gig for us...it’s a win-win situation. *Laughs*sent me your email I’ll post u some pix...



TerenceBelieves: I'm sure the crowd headbanging or moshing would give addiction of playing on stage. You guys are planning a split with Noisear and Toxic Revolution, what can we expect from these splits? What do you think of the bands you guys are working with and why do you want to work with them? (That's a lengthy question, haha.)



Magnicide: True this kind of crowd gives us energy to grind more. It’s the best drug ever!! Wow you know yer stuff! Yeah we already record for both releases. Noisear split 7"ep out soon as we speak. Probably we gonna launch it for our gig here in S'pore. Also the Toxic Revolution split LP is in the works. Both bands are great & fast!! We love it!! Cheers to em'



TerenceBelieves: Haha, I'm a metal/internet nerd what can I say. Haha So far, which release of yours is probably the best thing that Magnicide has ever produced? Another question here, among the most influential grindcore classics out there, which one do you think influenced Magnicide's releases most in terms of energy, spirit, motivation, musicianship and lyrically.



Magnicide: Probably the best stuff for us is the split LP wit Toxic Revolution-Great songs & great production. But we are still learning & improving as time goes by. To me bands like Terrorizer, Assuck, Nasum are best describe as great grindcore example in terms of great song writing wit good lyrics. Not forgetting great production as well...enuff said!!



TerenceBelieves: I can see you guys do really love Terrorizer. Does the death of Jesse Pintado affect you guys in anyway? Well he did great jobs in Terrorizer, Lock Up and Napalm Death.



Magnicide: Yeah a great guy!! I met him when Napalm Death play in KL few yrs ago...it’s a loss for grindcore music. He is like the forefathers of grind!!! Life goes on...



TerenceBelieves: Yeah, too bad I never get to meet him. Ok, I'm going to mention some random bands from today's scene and tell me what you think of them

(Warning: Not all are metal!)

1) Tools of the Trades

2) Second Combat

3) Cephalic Carnage

4) Panic! At The Disco

5) Rator

6) Nidji



Magnicide:

1) Tools of Trade are awesome! What’s up Kia!! Yeah we gonna do split 7"ep wit em...

2) Second Combat are great too.

3) Cephalic Carnage are killers!

4) Panic! At The Disco never heard?? -Any good??

5) Rator old skool black metal!! Brutal!!

6) Nidji are good!! Great band!! Good songs!!



TerenceBelieves: For your information *coughs* Panic! At The Disco is an *coughs* emo/pop band. Never thought you give such a remark to Nidji. I kinda love them (I mean Nidji, not that awful Panic! At The Disco)



Magnicide: haha ok...yeah I am open to all kind of music...music are supposed to be a freedom of choice!! But then again some just suck big time!!



TerenceBelieves: Haha, some people are kind off close minded and only want to be elite. Closing that section up, what does the band think about today's scene, especially with the emergence of genres like Metalcore and Deathcore? (I enjoy some bands) Would you people work with such bands despite the genre differences?



Magnicide: Why not but some are just trendy rite?? So how we know if this band is for real?? We try to minimize & work with someone we know closely...



TerenceBelieves: I have to agree that some jump onto the trend bandwagon. Are there any specific Metalcore/Deathcore/Mathcore bands you can actually tolerate?



Magnicide: to tell u the truth I dun have any bands of the genre that I listen nowadays. Mostly I listen to easy listening stuff. Maybe here & there extreme music...kinda flexible guy...



TerenceBelieves: Hey, that kind of surprised me because you don't even know *coughs* Panic! At The Disco *coughs*. The cool thing is you still have the grind attitude in you. How long do you think the band will last? Would the band sort of "retire" once you guys reach a stage?



Magnicide: haha well I’m kinda different from all those brutal close minded grindheads...haha. Maybe the band will last till the end of time or sooner. Yup retire when we are tired of it. Haha



TerenceBelieves: Before we end the interview, any last words for the readers out there and bands trying to make it big?



Magnicide: ok just be true to yourself. Support real bands not some trendy 5yrs band. Bands trying to make it big well u can just dream on...Nothing beats a hardworking bands...check out Magnicide & love, peace!!



TerenceBelieves: Okay, over and out sir! I'll inform you when I put the interview on my blog. Thanks for the cooperation you gave and you were quite friendly. Thanks again.





*As soon I get the pictures from Memeng, I'll post them here! Fans from the Philippines, watch out, your pictures might be up there!

No comments:

Post a Comment